A hair mask is a deep conditioning treatments that helps nourish, protect, moisturize and repair damage hair. While some hair salon offer expensive hair treatments that yield similar results, we’ve decided to share with you the ingredients on how to make your own hair mask. The good news is that, you probably have all the natural ingredients hanging around in your kitchen.
1. For Dry Hair (Brown Sugar + Olive Oil). Brown sugar is a great exfoliant for the hair that helps get rid of those dead skin cells from your scalp and any other leftover residue buildup. Combine with olive oil that has been used as a natural conditioner to treat dry hair. It also produces soft and shiny hair by locking in moisture and preventing dryness of the scalp. It’s a great resource for preventing hair breakage, split ends and even fly-aways. To do so, mix 2 tablespoons of brown sugar and 1 tablespoon of olive oil together into a bowl. Apply to your hair from roots to ends and let it sit on your hair for 20-30 minutes and then rinse.
2. For Frizzy Hair (Banana & Yogurt + Honey). Bananas are full of natural oils, Potassium, Carbohydrates and Vitamins, all for which help lock in moisture and help eliminate that annoying frizz. Bananas are secret wonders for hair conditioning combine with Yogurt that has a high level of Lactic Acid, which helps treat dull and damage hair, so this ingredient is a must have. To do so, combine 1 sliced banana, 2 tablespoon of plain yogurt and 1 tablespoon of honey together in a blender or you can mash the banana and mix the ingredient until they are all blended together well. Apply the mask to damp hair from top to bottom. Twist the hair up and cover with shower cap. Leave the mask on your hair for about 30-45 minutes and rinse with regular shampoo and conditioner.
3. For Damage Hair (Coconut Oil & Avocado + Egg White & Honey). Avocado contains natural ingredients and healthy fat, which offers nearly 20 different vitamins and minerals including Potassium, Folate, which repairs damage cells, Vitamin C and E, which also promotes hair growth. In other words avocados add shine, moisturize, provide your hair with essential vitamins, protein and even help protect your hair from harmful UV rays and harsh environment. To do so, mash 1 avocado in a mixing bowl. Add 2 egg whites, 1 tablespoon of honey and 1 tablespoon of coconut oil. Mix well and apply to your damp hair from roots to tips. Let it sit for 20-30 minutes and then rinse.
4. For Shiny Hair (Coconut Oil & Strawberry + Honey). Strawberries are full of Vitamin C, which helps your body create collagen, an important part of hair’s structure. Strawberry hair mask eliminates excess oil and grease and will give your hair a glossy shine plus that delicious smell of strawberry. To do so, blend 6-8 strawberries, 1 tablespoon of coconut oil and 1 tablespoon of honey to form a purée. Apply evenly to damp hair and let it sit for 15-20 minutes. Rinse with warm water.
5. For Hair Growth (Coconut Oil + Cinnamon). You’ll find coconut oil in many different hair mask recipes because of its hydrating and moisturizing properties, combine with Cinnamon that has antimicrobial properties that helps your hair grow, helps with dandruff, hair loss and strengthens your hair follicles. So when applied to your hair, cinnamon stimulates circulation to the scalp, improving hair follicles blood flow leading to stimulate hair growth. To do so, mix 1 tablespoon of coconut oil and 1 tablespoon of honey in a bowl. Make sure they are mixed well. Part your hair down at the center and start by applying it down the part and on your scalp. Use your fingertips to massage the mixture into your scalp. Tie your hair up and cover with a shower cap or a towel. Let it sit for 30-45 minutes. Rinse well with regular shampoo and conditioner.
6. For Oily Hair (Egg White + Lemon). Eggs are rich in Vitamins A, D and E, protein and fatty acids, which helps retain the luster and shine in your hair. It’s also a great natural conditioner, combine with Lemon, which is high in Vitamin C, and is best for those oily scalp, as lemon juice has the capabilities of absorbing excess oil and grease in the scalp. Lemon also contains a compound called Limonene, which add bounce and shine to dull lifeless hair. It’s also great for fighting dandruff, as it has anti fungal properties. To do so, crack 1 egg and make sure to use the egg white. Squeeze half of a lemon into a mixing bowl. Mix the egg white and lemon juice until you have a smooth consistency. Apply to damp hair from roots to ends and cover with a shower cap. Let it sit for 30-45 minutes and rinse with regular shampoo and conditioner.